May 29, 2008

Never Underestimate The Sheer Depths of WTH You Can Reach on the Internet

Heyas,

Well, one of these days curiosity is going to get me into some serious trouble. You know that saying, "a friend will come and bail you out of jail...a real friend will be sitting next to you in the cell going 'that was so awesome!'"??? Yeah, I'd totally be the friend sitting next to you. It's a shame I'm not more inclined to science, 'cause I think I would have been fairly good at the whole experiment thing. What has this Elf gotten herself into, you ask?

Known Donors on the Internet.

Now, I'm not actually going to use one...may be fine for some people, but I just couldn't even begin to get to a place where I'd be comfortable with something like that. But one of the boards I was talking on, one of the women mentioned that she and her husband were ttc with a known donor they'd found, and some other people were chiming in about how they'd found KD's on the internet, and I'm all 'nah, surely not.'

And because I really can't resist the urge to poke at a hornet's nest, I whip out my Google-fu, and like two minutes later, I have a whole list of sites where I can find guys willing to donate their sperm for free. Okay, yeah, my interest was piqued for like half a second. I'm a teacher! I'm on a budget, here. ;) But dude! These guys were creeeeeeeepppppyyyyyy...it's all "I'm willing to do AI, but as a man I'm sure you understand I'd prefer to deliver it 'naturally.'"

And I'm like, cripes, are there not easier methods of getting no-strings-attached sex?

Some of the guys that were posting seemed nice enough...the ones that were posting that they'd only do AI actually seemed okay...but for every one of those there were, like, ten with handles like impregnateyourwife@ blah-di-blah-di-dah

*shudder*

One more day of state tests to go, and then the real fun begins. Fun being a whole week with hyperactive kids that know we have to turn our grades in at the beginning of June. Now, I have a great relationship with most of my students, but there are a few hardcore cases that hate my guts and to be frank, I will be happy not to have to deal with again come June 10th. Those children delight in looking at us and going "what're you gonna do to me?" and then turning out like no one's business.

Granted, I answer by kicking their butts to the office with a referral for insuboordination and disruption, but yeesh...it's more stress I don't need. Still, I console myself with the fact that the vast majority of my babies I will miss terribly. Que sera sera.

Heading a few towns over this weekend to finish the very last piece of my National Board attempt. For those of you not in education, National Boards is like the Olympics of teaching. You spend a whole school year putting together a portfoilio of student work, videos, writeups, etc and send it off to be judged and analyzed within an inch of its life and sometime next year I'll get a little letter that says if I'm one of the top teachers in the country or not.

No pressure, of course.

I don't think I'm gonna make it this year, but I think I'll do okay on most of my entries, and the ones I do poorly on I can re-do next year and re-submit...much easier to concentrate on one entry than four, you know? But the last part I'm doing is a test of general knowledge of my subject. Since I teacher Social Studies/History, that pretty much means they can ask me anything about the entire history of the Earth and civilization. The practice questions? Spanned about three thousand years.

Now, I'm no slouch in the general knowledge department, if I do say so myself. I'm well read and well traveled, and my dad had dragged us to every Civil War monument/battle field east of the Mississippi by the time I was eight. But still...any point in history they can ask me about. 'Tis nerve wracking. So please, send me a few good vibes early Saturday morning, if you are so inclined. I could use all the help I can get. I'm hoping that I've built up enough good karma that I can catch a break and get a really high score on the test, which would off-set any low scores I get on the portfolio entry I'm not too happy with...but we shall see.

Things Elfgirl is looking forward to: according to my cell phone countdown, I have 51 days until I start trying for the Imp (approximately). Squeeeeeeeeeeee!

Things currently annoying the crap out of her: nothing, really. I'm in a pretty happy place right now :)

Pretty boy of the moment: David Tennant...'cause it's all about the hair.

1 comment:

twondra said...

You're so cute! I just love reading your blog! You're so funny. I agree with you about the "KD". I've read about some that will only do natural insemination or they'll provide their goods in one room but need to watch the insemination! Creepy!!