Jun 1, 2008

I Didn't Think This Through Too Well

Heyas,

Sometimes, my friends, I'm just too clever for my own good.

Okay, so, as I've said in other posts, once a month or so I run opposite to character and let my overly optimistic side (known as Miss-Suzy-Cream-Cheese) come out to play, and make some purchases for my Imp. A few onesies here, some burp cloths there, a baby bjorn from ebay, a diaper bag...eh, basically I want to call all my relatives and friends before my baby shower and be like "I want diapers and wipes. That's it. No booties, no blankies, no binkies. Diapers. Wipes."

Of course, they will purchase ridiculously cute items anyway, but they'll also get me diapers and wipes 'cause that'll be the only thing I ask for. Thus, my Imp will make out like a bandit.

Yes, I'm being incredibly Machiavellian...but don't worry! It's a sign of affection in my family.

Aaaaaannnnnyyyways...several months ago, when I first laid out this summer as my concrete date for ttc, I went ahead and made a list of all the gear that I thought I would need for the Imp. Then I remembered that I suck at keeping lists. I mean, I can write them down and everything...but I keep losing them. Sooo, I got the brilliant idea to create a baby registry online! Hey, easy visual reference for me, quick price comparison, and I can just remove and add items when I buy them or as other stuff strikes my fancy. Easy and brilliant, right?

Well.

As it turns out, the baby registry wants all my info...name, address, due date, yadda-yadda. Okay, s'cool...only thing is, I have a REALLY distinct last name. Like, seriously, every person in the country who has this last name spelled the way we do is an immediate relative. And, as it turned out, my stepsister was pregnant at the time and my stepmother had created a separate registry under HER name for "surprise gifts." So, there's already a registry with my last name on it and I hadn't told any of my family about my plans yet, and certainly didn't want to be "outed" by any of my stepsister's friends or any of my relatives looking to buy her something, so I made up a fake name on the spot.

Er...only I used my Internet name and my favorite boy name to register. Sooooo, Elfgirl Sebastian is registered at Walmart.

Fast forward a few months and I'm browsing around ebay and I find the cutest stroller/carseat ever. I love it! It's got unique colors and lots of storage, and it's not overly hyped, and it's well reviewed. Only, it's like, 200 dollars on ebay, plus shipping (and I hate getting into bidding wars). So I cruise over to Walmart.com to see if I can find it cheaper (or at least get confirmation that 200 dollars is a fair price for it) and lo and behold I can get it at Walmart for 130. And free site-to-store shipping. Woohoo! Imp, my love, you have a stroller!

So, I order it and pay for it, and get my little confirmation email:

"Thank you for your order, Elfgirl Sebastian. You will receive an email when your item is ready to be picked up. Please have at least one form of picture ID with you when claiming your item."

D'oh!

Now, I have ID that identifies me as Elfgirl...but I don't think they'll accept a DragonCon ID badge as proper identification, y'know?

Fortunately, they have an option where I can add someone else to be allowed to pick up my purchase, so I was able to put my real name down. But still....

Somewhere, in some Walmart warehouse, there is someone having a serious "WTF?" moment.

Things Elfgirl is looking forward to: SUMMER!!!!!

Things currently annoying the crap out of her: The fact that tomorrow is Monday.

Pretty boy of the moment: Orlando Bloom. *sigh* I'd have waited ten years for him, too :)

1 comment:

twondra said...

You're so funny girl! I hope you're able to get the item with your name!

BTW, I've been meaning to tell you, I love the dream you had about me registering at the same place as you. When we're expecting, we plan to register at Wal-Mart....so I hope it's a sign. :)