Jul 10, 2008

Oh, come ON, now you're just picking on me!!!!

Heyas,

There exists, somewhere in time and space, a man named Murphy. A rather jolly fellow, clever and wise in the ways of the universe and just how things work...one might even say the laws of the universe. I would like to find Mr. Murphy, walk with him a while, talk with him a while.

Then I would like to kick him in the balls.

So, I've got a job this summer at a local school...pretty decent money for pretty easy work, and I really enjoy the kids I work with. Ordinarily, I just put what I earn in the summers onto my credit card bills and save a few hundred out to just spoil myself with before I head back to the grindstone of a new school year. Only this time, I was gonna save my few hundred out and spend about half of it on my swimmers and the other half on a nice dinner out with my family, and maybe a swing for the Imp, 'cause I love shopping for the Imp, even if he/she isn't here yet.

And so, I leave my job today, go out to my car, shove the key in the ignition and...nothing. The key will not even freakin' turn. Now, the ignition switch in my car has always been a little finicky. It's probably needed replacing for about a year and a half now, but I've always been able to cajole it into working for me. Not this time. No, no amount of jiggling steering wheel, switching out the key, smacking, bouncing or other movement will get that key to turn. I even tried my grandpa's tried and true method of getting something to work: I pounded the dashboard with my fist and screamed: "C'mon, you son of a bitch!"

Didn't make the key work, but I felt better. Maybe THAT'S why Grandpa does it so much.

Any road, I'm not upset about getting the ignition switch replaced. It needs to be done, and my family has a mechanic friend we take all our problems to, and he gives us a really good deal...the entire bill for fixing the problem is going to be a hundred, a hundred and twenty five bucks, tops. Noooo, what pisses me off is my car couldn't wait 'til I was, oh, CLOSER to said mechanic friend to give up the ghost? Seriously...TOWING the car to this place is going to be the big expense. We have AAA, but it's a good half hour haul from where I am to where I need to be. Stupid, out of the way, rural towns.

I can afford it right now, but holy crap...seems like every time I get even a little bit ahead financially, something happens to suck it all right up. I'm never seriously DOWN money, but my expenses literally seem to grow and shrink depending on how much extra cash I have on hand. Very, very frustrating.

I'm going to try one more time today to get my car started...I'm hoping that if I let it sit for a while, maybe wait 'til it cools off here and the metal contracts a bit, whatever is out of joint will slip back into place long enough for me to drive the car to where it needs to be myself. I'd surely appreciate any crossed fingers/good vibes. *sigh*

Stupid car.

1 comment:

twondra said...

Aww, man. I hope you were able to get your car started. :(