Aug 3, 2008

Elfgirl's Adventures in Africa

(pictures to come once this Elf figures out where the USB port is on this computer)

Heyas,

Greetings from Africa!

'Twas a long and harrowing journey...seriously, the worst plane trip I have ever been on. Sooooooooo LONG.

Well, I haven't really had any adventures, yet. This was my first full day here and was mostly spent doing orientation for the volunteer work I'll be doing whilst here. We did have an incredible bus tour of the area, and I got some breathtaking photos. Really incredible scenery here...will definitely post pictures.

D and I had a layover in New York for the night before our flight to Africa. Hoofed around New York--went to the Empire State Building and Central Park...then spent a lovely evening literally sleeping on the floor at JFK (hey, that's eighty bucks we would've had to shell out for a hotel that we can now spend on stuff for our classrooms). The floor of JFK is quite comfortable as those things go...very clean, nice and cool. The sinks in the bathroom were deep enough that I was able to duck my head under and wash my hair in the morning, so I felt halfway human for the REALLY long flight to Africa.

Did I mention that flight was long?

Also made a tactical error in ordering a Kosher meal in-flight. I'm not Jewish, but I like the food they serve and frankly, it tends to be fresher and better quality if you "special" order. No offense to Judaism.

However, the easiest kosher food to serve in plane-format? Fish.

More specifically, canned tuna. You know, that stuff you're supposed to stay away from if you're preggers? So, I just munched on crackers and fruit and was utterly starving by the time we got to the site we're staying at.

Dumb move, Elf.

On the Imp-front...I still don't know, but am cautiously hopeful that if I'm NOT pregnant, my body is doing a damn good impression. Cervical mucus continues to be present, but drying into a more sticky and whitish discharge. The girls have been getting progressively tender, and I'm noticing some definite darkening of the nipple area. And I'm. Still. Sick.

Incredibly nauseated...like, constantly. If I don't eat REALLY regularly, it gets worse, but it never really goes away. However, I've had none of the fever or puking that would actually indicate a stomach bug. Also had some major heartburn after lunch today...and let me tell you, I can count on one hand the number of times I've ever had heartburn. Barbecue chicken and salad ain't gonna do it to me. But yeah...motion gets to me (who never gets motion-sick), smells get to me (who never is upset by any but the most disgusting smells) and I just generally feel sick to my stomach.

So, Imp, what'll it be? Is Mommy psyching herself out something fierce, or are you in Africa with her? I'm hopeful...but won't be testing for another week. Still scary stuff.

1 comment:

twondra said...

I hope this is it! Keep us posted!!!