Jan 1, 2010

Epic New Year's FAIL that's kinda not

Heyas,

Let me preface this by stating, in case I have not before--I honestly don't remember, that I am not yet even thirty. Granted, at twenty eight, I'm way closer to thirty than twenty...but still, I'm in my twenties at least for another one and a half years or so.

So, according to my sisters, there is dreadful, epic, dsigraceful New Year's fail in the fact that I spent New Year's Eve at my mother's, curled up on a twin mattress with Marley, watching the Twilight Zone marathon.

Incidentally? Sharing a twin mattress with Marley is no easy feat. He only weighs about 75 pounds (I say "only" 'cause my old vet warned me he might possibly go to 85 or 90 when he was full grown), but he's over five feet tall when he puts his paws on one's shoulders and gets on his hind feet.

Any road, no drinking, no partying, just me and my dog and some cherry Dr. Pepper and Rod Serling.

And it was pretty effin' brilliant.

'Cept when those Sarah McLachlan ASPCA commercials kept coming on. Gah! It makes me want to run down to the pound and adopt every single freakin' furry there. Wow.

Ahem.

So yeah, another year bites the dust and Twenty Ten rolls around. May the best that we've seen be the worst that we see.

Incidentally, how much of a sci-fi geek does it make me that I love how futuristic "Twenty Ten" sounds over "Two Thousand and Ten"? Granted, the fact that I basically sat through at least 18 hours of a 46 hour Twilight Zone marathon should probably put paid to any lingering doubts that I am a science-fiction freak.

Not much else going on. I went to see Sherlock Holmes on Christmas and was utterly enchanted. And not just by Robert Downey, Jr. and Jude Law (though admittedly, they make for very fine eye candy). I see where a lot of the complaints I've read from fans of the original stories come from, but quite honestly, I'll forgive Guy Ritchie his flair for the overly dramatic (and damned annoying love of the damned annoying suuuuuuupppppeerrrrrr sloooooooooooooooow motion action) because he gave me a supremely competent and slightly badass Watson.

Ever read any of the original Sherlock Holmes novels and short stories? They're excellent (some of the VERY little Victorian literature I avidly enjoy) and there have been decent film and television adaptations, but over the years Watson just became a PARODY on the screen.

Yeah, I'm lookin' at YOU, Nigel Bruce *spits*

Ahem.

Any road, Watson-of-the-Books is a staunch ex-Army surgeon, an excellent shot, and while not as brilliant as Holmes, certainly no dullard. He's my favorite character in the stories.

Watson-of-the-Screen? *facepalm* There have been good protrayals, but over the years, the character tended to get slotted into the "bumbling sidekick" role...little more than comic relief, and so thick as to make you sit there and be like, "THIS is who the most brilliant detective in the world hangs out with? I think not!"

Jude Law's Watson?

Oh. Hell. YEAH!

Now THAT is how I always pictured the good Doctor.

And yes, the fact that Jude Law is ridiculously pretty is probably responsible for about 45% of that oh-hell-yeah.

All right, 50%.

65% at the outside.

I highly reccommend the film, and plan to see it multiple times more as soon as I get back to a city with a decent theater.

'Cause yeah, the theater in my mother's town? Probably hasn't seen a vacuum since the Nixon administration.

Things this Elf is looking forward to: Life in general...2010 is gonna be a good year
Things currently annoying the crap out of her: her darling cat, who is suddenly ALWAYS on the wrong side of a closed door and very vocal about it
Pretty Boy of the moment: Ummmm...did the above post not answer that?

No comments: