Dec 13, 2009

Up Side? Obedience School Is Doing Something Right...

Down side? The "something right" is clear cut evidence of my impending crazy-pet-person-hood. If I'm not already there. I think it's a toss-up, really.

So, I went down to my mother's this weekend to decorate the Christmas tree with her and my sisters. And of course, I had to take my darling dog, Marley, with me. Along the way, we stopped at a PetsMart (PetSmart? God, I hate cute-sy wordplay business names) to get a bag of his dog food.

Yes, my baby is back on commercial dog food! I'm so excited. Marley's bum liver is a chronic condition that will be with him 'til the day he dies (unless I hit the lottery and therefore am able to pay the six or seven thousand dollars for the surgery that could correct the condition), BUT I found a new support list for people with dogs with the same issue and with their help was able to find an affordable commercial kibble that is safe for him to eat. I was ecstatic, as I'd really been worried about his nutritional needs being met with me cooking for him.

That, and spending fifty to sixty dollars a month just on fish for my dog was starting to get to be a problematic expense.

Any road, we go into PetSmart and as I'm wandering around the aisles, practicing Marley's heeling with him (he's an absolutely PERFECTLY behaved dog...just as long as there is no other living thing in sight besides him and me.) I see a banner proclaiming that Santa will be there in half an hour to take pictures with pets.

And this Elf got an idea.

This Elf got an awful idea.

This Elf got a terrible, awful, WONDERFUL idea.

So, yeah, we sat around in PetsMart (PetSmart?) for half an hour so that Marley could get his picture taken with Santa. And he did marvellously! Seriously, my boy was so good! Like, three sales associates came up and complimented me on how well my dog behaved. And I got a gorgeous picture of Marley with Santa, sitting next to the big guy just as prim and proper as you please.

Granted, I have become one of those people that takes professional family pictures of pets...but I'm okay with that. It's a really awesome picture. And Marley actually got up on the bench and sat! Still! And looked attentively at the camera (well, looked attentively at me while I stood behind the camera lady, frantically making his 'stay' signal and going "stay! Staaaaaayyyyy!" like a jackass...but it worked!). And didn't try to jump at any of the other dogs that were all lined up.

Though I got really pissed at this one customer who let his friggin' yappy poodle-lhasa apso-bichon-whatever (it was one of those little white dust-mop dogs) just come right up to Marley in line and didn't even try to hold his dog back. I don't mind a little friendly sniff, but this vicious little bugger was barking its head off and lunging at Marley and when the guy let it get up close it BIT MY DOG ON THE FACE. Marley's got a real gentle-giant complex going, and I am sincerely glad that he looks so intimidating, 'cause God help me if he ever has to actually defend me from everything (he lets my sister's mini-dachsaund boss him around). Marley was more surprised than hurt, but he backed up and absolutely plastered himself against my legs. And I'm all "Hey! Keep hold of your leash!"

And the guy had the gall to glare at ME, like I'd done something wrong.

Anyways, fun little outing, and Marley did excellently...another few weeks and I might actually have a dog that's fit to be out in public :)

Things this Elf is looking forward to: Christmas! Woohoo.
Things currently annoying her: stupid pet owners who don't realize that just 'cause your dog's little, doesn't mean you don't have to control it!
Pretty boy of the moment: Matt Bomer (are you watching White Collar? You should be!)

1 comment:

twondra said...

You always crack me up! I absolutely love reading your blog. :)

You gotta show the picture. :) I'd love to see it! Glad Marley was so good. :)