Feb 9, 2010

Whoa...Be Careful What You Wish For

So yeah...my one fervent wish for the past five years or so (well, all right, besides the Imp) has been for a really good, hard, long (yikes, that didn't sound that dirty in my head!) Ohio winter. The kind with tons of snow and heavy, overcast days, and tons of snow, and bitter cold air, and did I mention the tons of snow?

Hey, I did two years in a desert and then three years in the South. I missed snow. And for whatever reason, S.A.D. is a total crock for me. I love heavy, dark, winter days. Especially if there's snow.

Well, I'm getting my wish now. Like what I suspect is most of the Midwest by this point...I'm snowed in. For real, this time.

I also think I might have threatened my principal this morning, but I'm a little fuzzy on that. Eh, he called to activate the phone tree to call off school at, like, 4:30 this morning...I may or may not have snarled something into the phone to the effect of, "Something damn well better be on fire!" when I answered. Probably did...I'm not lucky enough to have dreamed that. Oh well.

So yeah, started snowing about 2 am when Marley demanded a potty break, and now we're utterly buried with no sign of it abating. The snowfall from this weekend hasn't melted much, so it's about knee deep in some places. Awesome.

What is less awesome is the way the apartment complex's snowplow keeps winging around our parking lot like it's the freakin' Indy 500. Dude took out one of the speed bumps last week (like seriously, scraped the thing right up! It's sticking out of one of the giant piles near the dumpsters that will be there 'til April this year). I swear, if he hits my car I'm gonna punch him in the balls. True story.

Any road, yeah, snowed in...and I just realized that I'm out of garlic crackers, so of course now I'm having mad cravings for them. But driving up to the grocery in this is a wee bit risky, even for my usual devil may care attitude.

But damn, I really want crackers now.

In other news, I'm making some preliminary searches on possible donors at the banks I'm considering. Upon further research, I found one in California that looks promising (Not THE California bank, but something called the California Fertility Center). They seem to have pretty decent reviews and their sperm is somewhat less expensive than Midwest. I want to talk to a few more people who have used them before I make a final decision, but I haven't thus far seen anything that raises a red flag.

Huh...and by the loud bang that just echoed through the parking lot, I think the snowplow just took out the other speed bump.

Any road, searching for a donor is an interesting process for a single woman. I don't have a partner I'm trying to match, so what I want is completely arbitrary, for the most part. I mean, I look at family health history first and foremost...heart disease and diabetes run pretty heavily through my family, so I want donors that don't have those particular curses (not that there's any real guarantee that the donors are being truthful on the form...most of 'em seem to be average college guys. I don't remember those as being a particularly trustworthy breed.)

Beyond that, it's a matter of deciding whether I want to match my own looks to up the chances of my child looking like me and mine (which I think would be somewhat less complicated than having a baby that doesn't look like ANYONE in my family) and going or something completely different. I think I want a donor with blue or green eyes. Don't care so much about hair as my wildly thick curls are a pretty dominant trait in my clan. But then it's like...do I want someone tall? What kind of frame should I pick? do I want someone who seems smart, or should I trust that my very education-oriented background will top out there?

And then I get a little creeped out by the fact that I'm considering these things like I'm picking half my child's genetic makeup like I'm at a drive-through.

"Yes, I'd like the Wester European deluxe...extra height, and hold the freckles, please!"

I also felt like kind of a freak 'cause one guy piqued my interest just 'cause he listed "Shaun of the Dead" as his favorite movie.

I mean, I don't know if anyone's noticed...but I'm somewhat cavalier in nature. With few exceptions, there's just not much that happens that my approach isn't "roll with the punches, no need to make a fuss"

But I feel like I SHOULD be making a fuss over the Imp's potential biology. I'm not even touching the whole open donor vs. anonymous donor. I'm going for anonymous...Imp, you might be angry at me for it later, but the fact is there's no guarantee with that stuff anyway. Some college freshman who says, "yeah, sure I'll meet the kid when they're 18" when HE'S 18 might feel very differently when he's 36, married, and with three kids he's actually had a hand in raising. He might be an utter loser. He might be a damn criminal. In weighing a theoretical need to "know where you came from" against a theoretical disappointment of that magnitude...I'm making the unilateral decision to just not even open the door to that. Besides...knowing what I do of our family, the way your going to be raised, and the people you're going to be raised around, I don't think it'll be a problem.

I'm also making a unilateral decision to circumcise if you're a boy...just so you know. AND use disposable diapers.

Things this Elf is looking forward to: The snowplows getting the hell out of the parking lot, 'cause they're really making me nervous.
Things currently annoying the crap out of her: the lack of garlic crackers in the house.
Pretty boy of the moment: Marley...'cause he's just soooo cute all sprawled out on the carpet!

No comments: